3 lb. potatoes, peeled and chopped
2 Tbsp Margarine
1/3 cup + 2 tbsp non-dairy milk
1 tsp salt, or to taste
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1/2 tsp garlic powder
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 yellow onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
4 medium carrots, peeled & small dice
2 parsnips (or other root vegetable), peeled & diced
4 celery stalks, diced
1 cup, vegetable broth (or more as needed)
1/4 cup red wine (or more broth)
2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
1/2-3/4 tsp salt, to taste + black pepper
3 tbsp flour
1. Preheat oven to 425F and lightly oil a 2.5 quart casserole dish.
2. Place peeled and chopped potatoes into a large pot and add water, 2 inches above potatoes. Bring to a boil and then simmer on low for about 30 minutes until very tender.
3. Meanwhile, prepare the vegetable filling. Chop the onion and mince the garlic and add to a skillet along with the oil. Cook on low for about 5-7 minutes.
4. Now add in the chopped carrots, parsnip, and celery to the onion and minced garlic skillet. Cook on medium-low heat for about 15 minutes.
5. When the potatoes are done cooking, drain and add back to the pot. Add the margarine, milk, and seasonings and mash well. Set aside.
6. In a small bowl, whisk together the liquid ingredients (broth, red wine (optional), thyme, and flour). Add this liquid mixture to the vegetables in the skillet and stir well. Add your salt and pepper to taste. Cook for another 5-10 minutes or so until thickened. Season to taste.
7. Scoop vegetable mixture into casserole dish. Spread on the mashed potato mixture and garnish with paprika, ground pepper, and Thyme.
8. Bake at 425F for about 35 minutes, or until golden and bubbly. Allow to cool for at least 10 minutes before serving.
Have a great day everyone! See you on Tuesday!