Hey everyone! I’m the roommate and these past 5 months of crash course veganism have been an adventure. I was originally an omnivore, and still am to a certain extent. But being exposed to veganism really opened my eyes to what I was putting in my body. One day, my roommate ate pita with hummus, spinach and avocado; and as I looked down at my pita and cream cheese sandwich, I quickly asked “hey can I try that?” And I guess that’s how it all began. I was never much of a cook, so I just ate what she gave me and now all I know are vegan recipes. I could amuse you for days with all the mishaps that I have made in the kitchen in these past few months, but my cooking lessons have now come to the test. I give you my first recipe…ever.
It is a very simple udon noodle stir fry, and very hard to mess up, so to all you fellow cooking novices, this one is for you.
Udon Noodle Stir-Fry
- 2 Tablespoons of Grape seed Oil
- Chili Pepper (to taste I like it spicy so 1 for every two people)
- Sliced Mushrooms
- One small onion diced
- Teriyaki Marinade (I use San-J gluten free stir-fry/marinade)
- Tofu (1/4 of a block per person cut into bite sized pieces)
- 1 Zucchini, sliced
- 1 Carrot, chopped
- A large handfull of Spinach
- 1/2 bell pepper
- 1 package of Udon noodles per person
1) While chopping veggies, let tofu sit submerged in the teriyaki marinade (the longer the tofu marinades, the better it will taste)
2) Put 2 tablespoons of oil (I use grape seed oil) in a wok. Add in onions, mushrooms and chilli peppers. Stir on high heat for about 3 – 5 minutes.
3) Add in tofu with marinade and other veggies; except spinach. Cook on high for 3 – 5 minutes, stir continuously.
4) Add in udon noodles. Stir for 3 – 5 minutes. In the last minute add in spinach.
p.s. Hey I'm back (Justine). I hope you enjoyed this post and if you have any questions about vegan-ism or a recipe you want vegan-ized feel free to leave a comment and I will get back to you asap!