Monday 13 June 2011

life as a student

Hello cyberspace! so today is the big day... the day you all get a look into my kitchen!


As previously mentioned my kitchen has character.


The stove (aka the vortex) is an old gas oven and stove top so there is always a gas flame on and the top of the stove never ceases to be warm. The stove elements have two levels. Boiling hot and off which proves quite difficult when all I want to do is let something simmer!




And i now introduce weeper! (aka the fridge) so weeper is one of those old fridges where his freezer is a huge ice block. If we decide to put something in the fridge that is above room temperature the ice begins to melt and we find a nice puddle all around him.




We have learned to accept the quirks of our kitchen after a long month of struggles of student vs appliance. We have even added a table for more counter space. The over all look of our kitchen can be seen below:


As all of you can see it is the average student kitchen and definitely not what my dream kitchen would EVER look like! I will just have to see how we manage... challenge accepted!


As for eats of the day:


Breakfast as always is my go to of apples and PB!
Lunch was left over curry from last night and I also made banana chocolate chip muffins which I brought to the office. Everyone LOVED them!!! They are adapted from CCK's love muffins I pre-make the dry mix so that when I want to make muffins I just have to add a banana or apple sauce and some almond milk. This time I also decided to add the chocolate chips (but you can add what ever you want).


 And finally for dinner we had friends over to watch the hockey game (Boston won 5-2) so I make a huge veggie sauce to serve over fatfreevegan's Confetti Quinoa
For the veggie sauce I sauteed mushrooms, 2 cloves of garlic and 1/4 cup chopped onion in olive oil. After that I added 2/3 cup broccoli, 1 small sweet potato peeled and chopped, 1/4 of a red pepper chopped, 1 zucchini diced, and 1/2 a block of tofu cut into small cubes. I also pre-mixed and then added 1/2 cup tomato puree, 1/2 cup almond milk, 1/4 cup nutritional yeast, oregano and fresh ground pepper to taste, two chili peppers (we like our food spicy!), and 1 Tbsp. cornstarch (to thicken the sauce). simmer for 20 mins stirring every 5 mins and then add over top of what ever grain you have made and enjoy! 


For dessert I made chocolate covered strawberries!!!!


Question: since this is my first time ever blogging if anyone has any suggestions/ advise I would love to hear what you think!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment